26 DECEMBER 2008/JANUARY 2009 PRESERVATION IN PRINT www.prcno.org Stephen Murray’s house at 2265 St. Charles is a preservationist’s dream. A two-story double-galleried home in the Greek Revival style, it was designed by famed architect James Gallier, Jr. in 1856. Gallier chose yellow pine and cypress for the woods and Welsh slate and English ridge tiles for the roof. The parlors have plaster flowers on the ceiling and grates made of marble. The bricks he chose were the harder – and hardier – lake bricks, usually made in St. Tammany Parish. The Greek Revival columns are Ionic on the first floor and Corinthian on the second. And the cast-iron railings framing the verandas are the same intricate pattern as those at Gallier’s own Royal Street home. Its architectural details were not the only attractions the house held for Stephen, though; he was also drawn to its outdoor spaces. The home’s shaded double lot on the corner of St. Charles and Philip Street has proven ideal for gardening, exercising the dogs, and viewing the Mardi Gras parades as they pass. The garden and galleries are two of Stephen’s favorite features of the home. Other items of interest in the house are the chandeliers in the double par- lor, which were found in the attic and are thought to date back to the home’s early years. The ceiling in the dining room, painted to resemble the night sky, was inspired by French Empire design. The chandelier, table and brass candlesticks in that room are also French Empire. And the picture above the dining room’s pedestal table is an 18th-century political cartoon about the excesses of Louis XV. Before purchasing the house at 2265 St. Charles, Stephen was a collector of late 18th- and early 19th-century Con- tinental furniture. After he bought the house, he added to his collection several mid-19th-century American pieces of the sort that would have been in the house when it was first built. Evidence of Stephen’s favorite pas- time – sailing – is scattered throughout the house in the form of trophies, framed art and photographs of his fam- ily’s sailboats. It is also obvious that his family roots run deep. The paint- Trinity Episcopal School is an ISAS member. We seek to enroll qualified students without regard to gender, race, religion, creed, ethnic, or national origin. Come Celebrate the Season With Us Festival of Lessons and Carols Friday,December 19,2008 5:30 p.m.•Trinity Church Challenging the Intellect •Nourishing the Spirit •Celebrating Community 1315 Jackson Avenue • New Orleans, Louisiana 70130 • 504.525.8661 • www.trinitynola.com Gentle,Generous,Truthful,Kind,and Brave ing in the dining room portrays one of Stephen’s Tureaud ancestors, who built Union and Tezcuco plantations, and the two chairs in the living room originated from the Bocage plantation, which was built by Stephen’s great- great-great-great-great-great-grandfa- ther Marius Bringier as a wedding gift to his daughter. The first owner of the house at 2265 St. Charles was Lavinia Celles Dabney, who paid $8,600 for its construction in late 1856 or early 1857. She sold the house to Robert W. Boyd in 1859 for $16,000. His wife’s relative, Frederick Duffel of Donaldsonville, bought the property in 1872, then sold it the fol- lowing year to Wallace Ogden, a broker from New York. After Ogden died in 1884, the house was valued at $15,000. At auction in 1890, Mrs. Ogden sold the house to James Sweeney, who then lost the house in a sheriff’s sale in 1893. The purchaser was Jonas U. Rosenthal, a German real estate agent and the father of nine children. Although Jonas died about 12 years later, the house stayed in his family for nearly 60 years. In 1952, it was sold to the Diocese of the Protestant Episcopal Church for $38,500. In the past five decades, 2265 has been home to Drs. Nia Terazakis and Larry O’Meallie, and to John Malberg, Linda Johnson and Robert Cannon, and Buddy Naquin. Stephen Murray acquired it in 2003. Cognizant of the home’s important history, Stephen’s biggest challenge during renovation was replacing old architectural features without compro- mising the house’s architectural integ- rity. He gives great credence to the late Frank Masson for his advice and consultation on those matters. He also cites the PRC as a resource; in fact, in 2005 Stephen donated his home’s façade to the PRC as part of its ease- ment program. By placing a historic easement on the property, he is assured the home’s historic value and integrity will be protected in perpetuity. 2265 St. Charles Avenue The Home of Stephen B. Murray, Jr. x Ph o to b y S a ra E s se x Ph o to b y S a ra E s se x Ph o to b y S a ra E ss ex