Beams and Brews visits Mt. Olivet Church in Algiers Point
The original Mount Olivet church is a wood-framed structure constructed in 1854. As the congregation grew, the small wooden building was deconsecrated, and the parish moved to a larger brick church in the 1880s. During this time, the original building was used as a parish hall and community space. After nearly 80 years, the brick church was deemed unsafe due to a sinking foundation, so the original wood structure was reconsecrated and reinhabited by the congregation. Many of the interior furnishings (the pews, stained glass windows, altar, lectern, communion rail) were salvaged from the brick structure and repurposed in the wooden building upon its reconsecration. The small church has endured many natural disasters, countless hurricanes and two fires. Most recently, the church was struck by a car, damaging the framing at the front corner and requiring the current renovation. The current project is facilitated by Architect, Emily Flagler, and Celtic Carpentry.
The PRC’s Beams & Brews offers a chance to tour the renovation and enjoy free drinks.
Free for PRC members; $10 for non-members. Click here to become a member today.
5:30pm: Doors open
5:45pm: A short presentation is given about the project
6:00pm/Following the presentation: Attendees are welcome to go on self-guided tours of the premises.
7:00pm: Doors close
The PRC’s Beams and Brews series is generously sponsored by Faubourg Brewing Co..