March 9 at 8:00am — 4:00pm
This all-day seminar will prepare you to evaluate, plan and execute a home purchase and renovation project. Topics include how to evaluate an older property in need of renovation, determine feasibility, set the scope of the project, review financing options, communicate and work with a general contractor and architect, best practices in historic renovations and building systems, and hazard mitigation. Coffee, pastries and a bagged lunch will be included. The ticket cost covers all sessions, although attendees are welcome to attend only sessions of interest. There is no partial or per-session ticket.
Space is limited and advanced registration is required.
8:00am – 8:30am Sign-in and registration
8:30am – 9:30am: How to purchase a historic home
This session includes information on finding a bargain, evaluating a property for purchase, understanding an inspection report, and avoiding pricey pitfalls.
9:30am – 11:00am: Permitting
- HDLC: Is this property right for you? This session provides information on permits, historic districts, variances and appeals.
- Safety and Permits: When do you need a permit or to update your existing permit?
11:00am-11:30am: Financing your project for success.
- This session covers qualifying for a loan, securing insurance, closing timeline, costs/fees, acceptable repairs, approving funds and dispersing money.
11:30am-12:00pm: Title Insurance and Closing
- Understanding your title insurance commitment and preparing for closing
12:00pm-12:15pm: Break and Pick up Boxed Lunch for Lunch & Learn
12:15pm – 1:45pm: Lunch & Learn Panel – An Architect, General Contractor, & Interior Designer
- Building design and determining when you need an architect and structural engineer, how to design a scope of work, questions to ask, how to create a budget and approve a bid, payment processes with a renovation loan, establishing a realistic project timeline, what role an interior designer plays, and how to make educated choices without breaking the bank and the planet.
1:45pm-2:15pm: Securing and understanding homeowner’s insurance
- Premiums and benefits, flood zones and flood insurance.
2:15pm-2:45pm: Securing the building envelope.
- Learn the basics of heat loss/gain, air sealing, insulation dos and don’ts, and the most important things to consider for the exterior of your home.
2:45pm-3:30pm: Closing Our Your Renovation
- Final payment to your contractor, what is a punch list, when to have the final walk-through.
More Upcoming Events
Preserving New Orleans' Future series
Conservation Continuum: Protecting the Lake Pontchartrain Basin
8:30am – 9:30am
Preservation Resource Center
Beams & Brews
Beams & Brews visits 1816-1818 Fourth St.
5:30pm – 7:00pm
1816-1818 Fourth St.