- PRC founded with grant from Junior League of New Orleans.
- Office space donated by the New Orleans Redevelopment Authority.
- Save Our Cemeteries founded in New Orleans.
- Preservation Action formed in Washington DC as national citizens’ lobby.
- PRC hosts first Holiday Home Tour
- Preservation In Print (PIP) has first printing of 1,000 copies
- PRC hosts “Building Watchers Tours”
- Louisiana State Historic Preservation Office begins fifth year of operation.
- PRC buys and plans renovation of 604 Julia Street, one of thirteen vacant and deteriorated townhouses dating from 1832.
- PRC organizes “Heritage and Horizons” exhibition.
- Historic District Landmarks Commission (HDLC) is established to protect buildings in local historic districts.
- Newly established Downtown Development District (DDD) commissions growth management plan for CBD.
- Federal Tax Reform Act of 1976 provides first major tax incentives for rehabbing certified historic income-producing properties.
- PRC initiates capital campaign for renovation of 604 Julia St.
- Friends of the Cabildo publishes fifth of eight volumes on New Orleans Architecture
- National Trust for Historic Preservation launches Main Street Project.