- Nation-wide campaign succeeds in saving rehabilitation tax credits from elimination in Tax Reform Act of 1986.
- PRC renovates first of several dozen houses in Lower Garden District.
- PRC officially announces Operation Comeback (OC) in Lower Garden District.
- PRC initiates Christmas in October (CIO) with 300 volunteers renovating 10 homes of elderly and/or handicapped low-income homeowners in Operation Comeback area.
- Louisiana State Historic Preservation Office joins PRC as partner in publishing Preservation in Print.
- Manassas National Battlefield Park in Virginia is saved from adjacent shopping mall.
- PRC and Tulane School of Architecture sponsor first of four symposia.
- PRC sponsors first semi-annual “Stained Glass Art in Sacred Places” tour.
- Jobbers Canyon National Register Historic District demolished, the first such district lost.