by Jennie Garcia, Survey and Planning Grants Coordinator
This story appeared in the September issue of PRC’s Preservation in Print magazine. Interested in getting more preservation stories like this delivered to your door? Become a member of the PRC for a subscription!
The Louisiana office of Cultural Development’s Division of Historic Preservation and Division of Archaeology recently awarded $548,185 in Historic Preservation Fund grants to support 21 projects, trainings, surveys and scholarships within various communities across the state. The grants include $416,215 in Survey and Planning grants; $95,970 toward eight Certified Local Government (CLG) community projects, with $36,000 dedicated to the CLG program to support trainings and scholarships.
“Historic preservation is important to all of Louisiana as it helps create jobs and spurs economic development throughout the state while preserving our culture and history in the process,” said Lieutenant Governor Billy Nungesser. “Through these grants, we are investing in preservation to highlight our historic areas and bring them back to life. The investment of these grants is paying long-term dividends for Louisiana not just in tax revenue but also commitment to community.”
The grant proposals are related to ongoing state and federally mandated programs and initiatives that are outlined in the Louisiana Comprehensive Plan, entitled “First You Make a Roux: Ingredients for Preservation Partnerships in Louisiana 2017 to 2025.” The grants are possible through the Division’s annual apportionment from the National Park Service, Department of the Interior. The grants are competitive and require a 50/50 match of non-federal money.
The Louisiana Trust for Historic Preservation received a $15,300 grant for the Rosenwald Schools Multi-Property nomination to the National Register of Historic Places. Photo 1: Mount Olive School in Claiborne Parish, built in 1920. Photo 2: Fellowship School teachers residence in Claiborne Parish, built in 1923. Photos courtesy of Brian Davis with the Louisiana Trust for Historic Preservation.
Pursuant to the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, as amended and signed into law on Sept. 28, 1976, the Historic Preservation Fund utilizes a portion of royalties paid by energy companies for the drilling of natural gas and oil on the Outer Continental Shelf to provide assistance for a broad range of preservation projects without expending tax dollars.