This story appeared in the October issue of the PRC’s Preservation in Print magazine. Interested in getting more preservation stories like this delivered to your door each month? Become a member of the PRC for a subscription!
1000 Magazine Street. Map it!
Owner: The National World War II Museum
Development: The museum is building The Higgins Hotel & Conference Center. Scheduled for completion in 2019, the new 230-room hotel will operate as part of the Curio Collection by Hilton. “Named after Higgins Industries shipbuilder Andrew Higgins, the property will be inspired by the war era and feature a striking art deco style designed by renowned architects Nichols Brosch Wurst Wolfe & Associates from Coral Gables, Fla., and interior design firm Kay Lang + Associates from Los Angeles,” the museum said in a press release. The property also will feature a second-floor conference center with more than 18,000 square feet of meeting space.
730 Julia Street. Map it!
Owner: Woodward Audubon LLC
Development: The project is a joint venture of New Orleans-based Woodward Interests, an affiliate of Woodward Design + Build, and Audubon Capital Partners of Boston. Designed by Trapolin-Peer Architects, The Julia at Saint Charles will feature more than 16,000 square feet of commercial space, 198 luxury apartments and an enclosed parking facility. Arizona-based True Food Kitchen, a “health-driven, seasonal restaurant,” and Rome-based Bonci, an international pizzeria concept by Gabriele Bonci, will be anchor tenants, Stirling Properties announced.
1522 Chippewa Street. Map it!
Photo by Liz Jurey. Architectural rendering courtesy Holly & Smith architects.
Owner: Archdiocese of New Orleans
Development: St. Michael Special School is restoring a circa 1850s Greek Revival convent building for use as new classrooms, a music room and a technology lab. It also is constructing a new chapel, and the main school building will receive a new entrance and refreshed interior spaces, according to Holly & Smith Architects. “Originally built as a pair of sidehall townhouses joined by a double gallery, the two units were combined sometime in the early 20th century,” Holly & Smith Architects wrote in documents submitted to the HDLC. In 1976, Mother Theresa stayed in the convent during her visit to New Orleans. That bedroom will be restored to its original appearance. Voelkel-McWilliams is the general contractor.
Source: Holly & Smith Architects; Stirling Properties; Trapolin-Peer Architects; The National World War II Museum; and City of New Orleans One Stop, nola.gov/onestop Photos by Liz Jurey
Curious about a project? Email the address to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll consider it for a future issue.