This story appeared in the September issue of the PRC’s Preservation in Print magazine. Interested in getting more preservation stories like this delivered to your door each month? Become a member of the PRC for a subscription!
731 St. Charles Ave. Map it!
Owner: Steve Montagnet
Development: Construction of a 67-unit mixed-use condominium development with residential and commercial space. The site originally was the location of the Washington Artillery and Hall, which was known for hosting Carnival balls, including Rex’s first Reception Ball in 1873. The Washington Artillery was torn down in the mid-1960s to make way for a concrete three-story office building. The new building will feature condos as well as four ground-floor commercial spaces for sale or lease.
2600 Ursulines Ave. Map it!
Owner: RENOLA LLC
Development: Renovation and construction of an addition to an existing 4,290-squarefoot mixed-use building. The ground floor will have two commercial units; the second floor will have two residential units; and the 1,250-square-foot addition will have one residential unit.
1626-1628 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd. Map it!
Owner: Gideon Community Development Corp.
Development: Renovation and restoration of a formerly blighted and vacant historic structure for new retail and commercial uses. Built in 1913 for a department store, it later was used as a McCrory’s Five and Dime and then as office space for a variety of neighborhood organizations. Its rehabilitation will include an extensive facade restoration.
1301-1325 Annunciation St. Map it!
Owner: Annunciation Development Co. LLC
Development: Construction of a four-story apartment complex with 208 units on the site of the former Schwegmann’s and Robert’s Fresh Market grocery stores.
Source: City of New Orleans One Stop, nola.gov/onestop, and Gamble Communications | Photos by Liz Jurey
Curious about a project? Email the address to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll consider it for a future issue.